Monday, July 30, 2007

My article in Sunday's Chicago Tribune

Here is my article, "THE MARIE ANTOINETTE SYNDROME, Blame it on the beauty, and sex," which appeared yesterday in Sunday's Chicago Tribune, in the Perspectives section, in which I argue that Barbara Amiel Black (Conrad Black's wife) is but the latest in a line of highly visible women, who are the wives of husbands accused of abusing their power, who are turned into scapegoats by the media (and the courts). Think Hillary Clinton as First Lady, Imelda Marcos, Leona Helmsley, whom I mention in the piece.

(Actually, I just thought of another woman, one who was actually exonerated though many believe she was entirely innocent: Ethel Rosenberg, but the media's criticism of her was different than that of these other women. I don't think she was criticized for overspending and extravagance; she was not well-off, but like these other women, she was called an "unnatural" woman, a "bad mother".)

No comments: